ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT – Building Compliance Section
The City of Fort Lauderdale employees possess a passion for public service demonstrated by a high degree of enthusiasm, self-reliance, and job proficiency. They effectively convey the vision and mission of the organization and provide excellent service and satisfaction to our internal and external customers.
The Department of Sustainable Development seeks an Administrative Assistant for the Building Compliance Section in the Building Services Division.
The pay rate for this position is $21.32 per hour.
The City offers a wide variety of benefits to their employees. In addition to the competitive benefits package and salary. Beginning January 1, 2021, the City offers participation in the Florida Retirement System (FRS) which will require a 3% contribution from employees. Anyone hired after Jan 1, 2021 will be automatically enrolled in FRS.
Say "Hello" to the City of Fort Lauderdale and Say "Goodbye" to Your Student Loan!
That's right! Under the U.S. Department of Education's Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) program, the remaining balance on your student loan may be forgiven after you have made 120 qualifying monthly payments while working full-time at the City of Fort Lauderdale! Please visit StudentAid.gov/ publicservice for more information or to see if you qualify.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Essential functions are the basic job duties that an employee must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation. The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. The omission of a function does not preclude management from assigning essential duties not listed herein if such duties relate to the position.
- Provides responsible and complex administrative and clerical duties in support of an assigned area of responsibility
- Processes and proofreads a wide variety of reports, letters, memoranda and statistical charts; types from rough draft or verbal instruction; may independently compose correspondence related to assigned responsibilities
- Collects and reconcile fees and liaises with Administrative Services Division of the Department
- Maintains a calendar of activities, meetings and various events; coordinates activities with other City departments, the public and outside agencies
- Screens office and telephone callers; provides front counter assistance, including accepting applications providing information, or accepting payments; respond to and resolve complaints and requests for information on policies, procedures, systems and precedents relating to assigned responsibilities
- Attends a variety of meetings; prepares and compiles agenda packets; takes and prepares minutes; transcription; disseminates information, as appropriate
- Maintains detailed and accurate records; provides, creates and submits reports as required
- Maintains department filing, records and rosters; develops, implements and modifies filing systems
- Operates a variety of office equipment including copier, scanner, facsimile machine and computer; inputs and retrieves data and text; organizes and maintains disk storage and filing
- Maintains inventory of supplies; obtains estimates for ordering purposes; orders supplies as needed; ensures compliance of policies and procedures
- Prepares a variety of documents for the purchase of supplies and equipment
- Performs related work as required
NOTE: The duties of this position will include all duties set forth in the official job description.
This job classification is included within the bargaining unit represented by Teamsters Local Union 769 and therefore is subject to the terms and conditions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the City of Fort Lauderdale and Teamsters Local Union 769.
"In accordance with Article 24 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the City of Fort Lauderdale and Teamsters Local Union 769, for posting purposes this open-competitive job posting shall be considered as a simultaneous internal and external posting (it is open to both internal City employees and external applicants)." Additionally, this job classification is subject to the terms and conditions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the City of Fort Lauderdale and Teamsters Local Union 769.
JOB REQUIREMENTS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS
1. Have successfully completed at least two (2) years of college coursework in business administration, public administration or a related field from an accredited college;
2. Three (3) years performing intermediate administrative work. Additional qualifying experience or completion of coursework at an accredited college or university in a job-related field, may substitute on a year-for-year basis for one year of the required experience or education.
1. Experience working in Building Permitting, Construction or Housing
2. Experience working in the Public Sector (Local, State, Federal Government)
Non-Essential Employees will not be required to work during a declared emergency but may be required to work in some capacity after the declared emergency. The employee's Department Head will determine when the employee will be required to work.
HOW TO APPLY/ VETERAN INFORMATION
Depending on the number of applicants and the quality of their education and experience, the examination may consist of one or more of the following tests: Evaluation of Training and Experience, Oral Interview, Written Examination, or other assessment method. Applicants must attain a minimum score of 70 in each part of the examination in order to qualify. All successful applicants may be required to take a medical examination and/or pass a drug screening prior to appointment.
An eligible veteran who enters an open-competitive examination shall receive preference points added to the total passing score earned in the examination as provided for in the Florida Statutes. To obtain veteran's preference, candidates MUST submit a copy of separation papers and the City of Fort Lauderdale's veteran's preference claim form (J204) at time of application.
Closing Date/Time: 2/22/2021 11:59 PM Eastern