APPRENTICE FACILITIES WORKER
T he City of Fort Lauderdale employees possess a passion for public service demonstrated by a high degree of enthusiasm, self-reliance, and job proficiency. They effectively convey the vision and mission of the organization and provide excellent service and satisfaction to our internal and external customers.
PAY RATE STARTS AT: $15.00
May perform entry-level facility and or grounds maintenance duties, which may include minor repairs, cleaning restrooms, landscape, trash pick-up, etc. Work requires strenuous physical outdoor work, often under unfavorable conditions.
Say "Hello" to the City of Fort Lauderdale and Say "Goodbye" to Your Student Loan!
That's right! Under the U.S. Department of Education's Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) program, the remaining balance on your student loan may be forgiven after you have made 120 qualifying monthly payments while working full-time at the City of Fort Lauderdale! Please visit www.fortlauderdale.gov/PublicServiceLoanForgiveness for more information or to see if you qualify.
The City offers a wide variety of benefits to employees. In addition to the competitive benefits package and salary, the City participates in the Florida Retirement System (FRS) which offers an investment option and a pension option, and requires a 3% contribution from employees. New hires are automatically enrolled in FRS.
NOTE: The duties of this position will include all of those duties set forth in the official job description.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Essential functions are the basic job duties that an employee must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation. The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. The omission of a function does not preclude management from assigning essential duties not listed herein if such duties relate to the position.
- Hand weeds, fertilizes, and waters ornamental plant beds; may assist in the installation and maintenance of annual plant beds
- Operates gas-operated trimming/edging equipment to trim/edge around trees, signs, landscaped beds, etc.; waters and fertilizes lawn areas
- Operates smaller gas-operated riding lawn mowers and large push mowers to cut grass in parks, medians, and other City-maintained areas and facilities
- Picks up litter and debris by use of pick sticks, blowers or vacuums; empties trash receptacles
- Trims and prunes trees, shrubs and bushes from ground level by use of hand tools such as hand clippers and pole saws; loads trucks with trimmings and other debris
- Paints over graffiti using either roller or brush; and/or removes graffiti via use of proper cleaning materials (including chemicals/solvents)
- Maintains and cleans areas using rakes, hoes, shovels, blowers, and related tools and equipment
- Performs minor maintenance and repair to park furniture and related equipment
- Operates light trucks and other automotive equipment as needed
- Performs a variety of other manual tasks including digging/shoveling sand and dirt; lifts, loads and properly stores tools and equipment; performs basic maintenance to tools and equipment; mulches landscaped areas
- Performs basic maintenance of tools and equipment
- Performs related work as required or directed by crew leader or supervisor
JOB REQUIREMENTS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
High School Diploma or G.E.D. equivalencySome knowledge of manual maintenance work methods, procedures, tools, equipment and tasks Possess a current and valid State of Florida Class "E" driver's license with an acceptable driving record Special Requirements:
Essential Employees may be required to work during a declared emergency. The employee's Department Head will determine who will be required to work.
PHYSICAL STANDARDS REQUIRED TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The position involves heavy physical demands, such as exerting up to 100 lbs. of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 lbs. of force frequently, and/or up to 20 lbs. of force constantly to move objects. Must be able to
bend and stoop repeatedly and/or continuously over time in order to weed plants, pick up trash, and to perform other maintenance tasks.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The City of Fort Lauderdale offers a comprehensive benefits package to all regular full-time employees including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and short-term disability insurance.
Click here for an overview of employment information including our benefits package.
Closing Date/Time: 9/19/2023 11:59 PM Eastern