EMT: $18.93-24.14 per hour
NOTE: For EMT positions a normal work week is generally 36 hours. Employees must have the ability to work mandatory overtime. These positions receive full time benefits.
Prior to submitting your application you are required to upload a copy of your EMT License (e.g., pdf, jpeg) under the "Attachments" section of the application. ONCE YOU SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION YOU WILL BE UNABLE TO UPLOAD ANY ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTS TO THIS SPECIFIC APPLICATION.
Candidates who have applied for this position in the past and would like to be considered for this recruitment will need to reapply.
Nature of Work:
The City of Orlando is hiring for the position of EMT (Emergency Medical Technician). Specialized work involved in the paraprofessional delivery of emergency medical services and transportation of ill or injured persons to medical facilities, as may be required. Work is performed under the general supervision of the EMS Supervisor. Employees assigned to this classification must exercise considerable initiative and independent judgment, along with the proper application of medical protocols and adherence to established performance standards.
Examples of Duties
- Operates emergency medical ambulance vehicles.
- Responds to medical emergencies and performs basic and assists with advanced life support functions.
- Performs emergency medical services on persons injured or ill according to National, State, and Departmental guidelines.
- Documents patient's care according to specific policies. Demonstrate awareness of legal issues, patient rights, and compliance with the standards of regulatory and accrediting agencies.
- Transports patients to emergency medical facilities, reports observations and actions to emergency medical staff, and may provide additional emergency treatment.
- Provides extensive pre-hospital care such as administering drugs orally and intravenously, assisting with endotracheal intubation (EMT), interpreting electrocardiograms (EKGs), and using monitors and other complex equipment.
- Replaces used supplies and checks equipment after transport.
- Decontaminates the interior of emergency vehicle, as appropriate per standards, and immediately reports case to the proper authorities.
- Performs routine inspections of personal safety equipment in order to ensure equipment is in optimum condition and promptly notifies supervisors of deficiencies.
- Attends and participates in computer simulations and drill training ground sessions in order to continuously update knowledge and skills required for effective work performance.
- Communicates and interacts effectively with co-workers and the public.
- Performs other duties, as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities :
- Considerable knowledge of emergency medical services.
- Knowledge of basic life support emergency medical techniques and equipment.
- Ability to remain calm and provide effective patient care under stressful conditions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, medical facility staff, patients and general public.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability and physical capacity to accomplish physical demands of the job.
- Ability to operate/drive emergency ambulance vehicle.
- Ability to follow written and oral directions.
- Ability to work nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Ability to work twelve (12) hour shifts
- Ability to work mandatory overtime.
- Knowledge of Federal and State regulations applicable to the delivery of EMS and patient care.
- High school graduate or GED equivalency.
- Must possess and maintain current State of Florida EMT Certification as a requirement of continued employment. Candidates may submit an application if they solely possess a National Registry EMT. However candidates must provide proof of State of Florida EMT Certification upon receiving a conditional offer of employment.
- Must possess and maintain a State of Florida Class E Driver's License.
SIGNIFICANT JOB REQUIREMENTS:
As a City of Orlando Civilian EMT, you would be required to work any hour of the day, any day of the week, and any recognized holiday. You would be required to work in any area of the City. You would be required to be able to work with and for persons of differing race, gender, religious affiliation, age group, sexual orientation, and abilities.
SELECTION PROCESS INFORMATION
If selected, you will be required to successfully complete additional processing, which may include an interview, background investigation, polygraph exams, medical exam and a psychological exam to be considered for employment. If you are hired by the City of Orlando, you will begin as a probationary employee, which requires successful completion of an orientation. Failure to successfully complete the orientation for any reason whatsoever will result in immediate termination of employment and the removal of your name from further consideration.
If you are asserting Veterans' Preference either attach your DD-214 Member 4 copy to the "Attachments" section of your application or email in your documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. This information must be received within two weeks of the closing of this job posting.
If you have any questions please call Human Resources at 407.246.3286 or 407.246.2062.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous