Who We Are
Orlando, The City Beautiful
For most of Orlando's history we've been the place everyone wants to visit. Today, we're also the place where everyone wants to live and do business. List after list has Orlando as one of the fastest growing cities in America. We're transitioning from our role as the young upstart to a more mature, global city.
This didn't happen by accident. Together as a community, we developed a shared vision for our city focused on creating partnerships and we've transformed Orlando from a place that was packed with potential into a city on the rise.
Our vision ensures we are an inclusive, compassionate community that is generating jobs, becoming the most sustainable city in the nation, keeping our community safe, making it easier to get around, and increasing the quality of life. Together, we can continue realizing all our city's potential.
Come be part of our community with the City of Orlando.
Oversees the daily operations and participates in the strategic planning of the Compensation section. In collaboration with team leaders from all operational units, evaluates and manages the design, maintenance, streamlining and enhancement of the City's job evaluation and compensation systems, policies and surveys, and ensures programs are in regulatory compliance with local, state and national laws.
The position reports to: Director, Human Resources
Examples of Duties
- Coaches, supports, and leads the Compensation section by:
- providing clear and consistent expectations to ensure work is completed both accurately and efficiently;
- identifying training opportunities to support the team's ongoing development and growth;
- scheduling, assigning, and monitor the progress of position evaluation studies, research projects, the processing of annual increases, longevity payments and merit increases.
Oversees all compensation, position evaluation and pay program studies and activities:
- analysis of existing programs, studies and reports to propose long-term strategy to ensure internal equity and market competitiveness, while ensuring compliance with applicable state and local laws and
- research of special projects relating to compensation inquiries or problems, recommends solutions and possible alternatives; prepares complex reports and executive summaries.
Serves as the Compensation section systems administrator responsible for:
- monitoring and maintaining compensation related data;
- participating in testing of system changes/updates, troubleshoots errors or issues to ensure the system is processing properly;
- coordinating with HR Systems Administrator and assists in streamlining processes, creating reports and programs in support of the compensation section; and
- assisting in resolving complex technology problems.
- Understands and oversees contracts governing job classification.
- Interprets classification actions, pay administration policies, survey techniques and salary recommendations.
- Consults with and advises City leaders regarding classification of positions, documentation of employee performance, personnel policies, and procedures; participates in the development and administration of compensation programs.
- Reviews and evaluates:
- position evaluation studies to ensure equity within the classification plans;
- requests for special pay adjustments (voluntary demotions, special promotions, higher starting salaries) for potential impact and compliance with policy, and recommends appropriate actions;
- existing policies, procedures, rules, and regulations and offers options for streamlining and improvement and
- assists in development of systems for job analysis, audit procedures, wage surveys, and pay plan implementation.
Manages the City's performance appraisal and merit increase programs including communications to staff at all levels. Provides oversight of the Onboarding / Records staff.Performs related duties as assigned.
Skills and Abilities
- Experience in using data analytics from various internal and external systems such as Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP), compensation databases and survey materials.
- Advanced proficiency with business software - word, spreadsheets, presentation, and statistical analysis programs.
- Working knowledge of
- local, state, and federal legislation to ensure compliance of all City programs with DOL, FLSA, EEOC, and others and
- job analysis methods, job auditing techniques and statistics.
Good organizational skills, ability to prioritize and multitask, strong attention to detail and follow-up skills.Effective oral and written communication and excellent interpersonal skills.Good analytical skills, ability to solve problems and make measured and reasonable logical decisions.Ability to:
- work under pressure in sometimes adversarial situations;
- conduct research, collect, organize, and analyze data and formulate reasonable and appropriate recommendations;
- develop options for remedies of compensation related issue(s) and presentation skills to deliver technical data in simple, non-technical language and discuss possible budgetary constraints with City leaders and staff, if appropriate;
- work independently and also in a team environment to solve problems and make sound decisions based on available information;
- plan, implement and supervise various large-scale projects and programs;
- develop budgets and maintain expenditure records;
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with management, employees, and vendor representatives; and
- plan, supervise and review the work of professional, technical, and clerical staff.
Our Ideal Candidate
We want your expertise, positive energy, and drive to succeed as we work to refine and elevate our Compensation related programs and procedures.
The ideal candidate for this role will be:
- a systems thinker who understands local government;
- a person who uses critical-thinking, analytical and data analysis skills to identify trends, build a business case and develop recommendations; and
- committed to continuous improvement and evaluation.
- Bachelor's degree in public or business administration, data analytics or other related field and minimum of four (4) or more years professional experience developing and administering compensation programs, some of which must have been in a supervisory capacity; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. Master's degree is preferred.
- Knowledge of advanced business software applications and ERPs (Workday preferred) are required.
- A valid driver's license from Florida or another state for transfer within 30 days is required.
- Experience in working effectively within a public sector and/or a unionized environment.
- Certified Compensation Professional® (CCP®)
- SHRM Senior Certified Professional® (SHRM-SCP®)
- SHRM Certified Professional® (SHRM-CP®)
The position posting and application instructions can be found on the GovHR USA career center. https://www.govhrusa.com/job/orlando-fl-compensation-manager/
Please submit résumé, cover letter, and contact information for three to five professional or supervisory references. Candidates applying using veterans' preference must upload the required documentation for your preference category to your application.
First review of applications submitted will be conducted after close of business on Friday, May 26, 2023.
Questions regarding the recruitment may be directed to: Joan Walko, Senior Vice President, GovHR USA, LLC, (410) 499-9586.
City of Orlando Benefits
Closing Date/Time: 5/26/2023 5:00 PM Eastern