Under the general direction of the Building Director the purpose of the position is to manage the City's participation in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP); the Community Rating System (CRS); and perform technical evaluations of development plans, building plans, and documentation required for building construction, alterations, or repairs at residential or commercial jobsites for compliance with local, state and federal codes as related to Floodplain management.
The following duties are normal for this position. The omission of specific statements of the duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
Oversees the City's continued participation in the CRS program and review, research, and compile all necessary materials and documents required for the annual recertification or cycle visit to ensure continued flood insurance discounts for the community.
Represents the City in the County Floodplain Management Program ensuring that the City meets FEMA's minimum NFIP participation requirements.
Manages the application of the City's Floodplain Ordinance, regulations, policies, and procedures, and inspection processes related to the Floodplain Management Program.
Represents the City in the Local Mitigation Strategy Working Group ensuring that the City can apply for Hazard Mitigation Grant opportunities when available.
Promotes public awareness of the Floodplain Management Program through speaking engagements, advertising, and other programs.
Examines plans, blueprints, sketches, and specifications prior to the issuance of a building permit to ensure floodplain compliance.
Assists in the inspection of new construction, remodeling, repairs and condemnation, for possession of permits and for conforming with the Building Codes as they relate to the floodplain management discipline.
Presents information to the City Council, Planning Commission, and Code Enforcement Hearing Examiner.
Explains Floodplain development requirements to community leaders, citizens, and the general public.
Manages the maintenance of records and documents that keep the City eligible to participate in the FEMA's NFIP and CRS program.
Maintains the Community Floodplain Management Reference Library.
Provides assistance to FEMA and State Floodplain Manager representatives during Community Assistance Visits (CAV), Community Rating System (CRS) Program reviews, and other Floodplain management program activities.
Monitors and coordinates other federal and state Floodplain Management programs.
Appears as a witness involving floodplain violations.
Prepares and presents oral and written reports.
Maintains communication with all local, state, and federal regulatory agencies and entities concerning FEMA and Floodplain issues.
May require driving a motor vehicle to accomplish assign tasks.
This position requires regular and reliable attendance and the employee's physical presence at the workplace.
Assists with special projects as assigned. Performs related work as required and as directed.
Required Education, Experience, License, Registration, and Certification Qualifications
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in physical or natural science, planning, emergency management, engineering, or related field from an accredited college is preferred.
- Three (3) years of professional level experience in the assigned field of floodplain management with a Bachelor's degree as described above; or Seven (7) years of professional level experience in floodplain management without a Bachelor's degree.
- Equivalent combination of education, training, certification and experience will be considered.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Must be a Certified Floodplain Manager (CFM)
- Must possess and maintain a valid Florida Driver's License, or ability to obtain within 30 days of hire or promotion.
- FEMA E0273 Managing Floodplain Development through the National Flood Insurance Program completion, or ability to complete within 12 months of hire date.
- FEMA E0278 National Flood Insurance Plan/Community Rating System completion, or ability to complete within 12 months of hire date.
Supplemental or Additional Information
Ability to read, comprehend, interpret and explain laws, codes, regulations, and ordinances.
Ability to read, comprehend, and interpret maps, legal descriptions, and technical floodplain terminology; prepare and interpret maps; calculate and convert map scales; gather data and make accurate computations.
Ability to analyze facts and exercise sound judgment in decision-making.
Ability to express ideas effectively both orally and in writing.
Ability to obtain knowledge of the requirements, policies, and procedures of the City and Building Department.
Ability to organize own work, setting priorities and meeting deadlines.
Knowledge and experience in the construction or engineering field is preferred.
Knowledge of Lee County and Sanibel Flood Insurance Rating Maps (FIRM)
Knowledge of office practices and procedures and customer service principles, practices and procedures.
Skilled communicator in person, over the telephone, and in writing.
Skill in adapting to a changing work environment, competing demands and ability to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and those contacted in the course of the work.
Must be computer literate and able to operate modern office equipment including computer equipment and software programs. Exceptional computer skills with Microsoft Office are essential.
Benefits for full-time employeesinclude:
- Health insurance and subsidy for family and spouse coverage
- Dental insurance
- Life Insurance
- Accidental Death & Dismembermentinsurance
- Retirement plan
- 457 Deferred compensation plan
- Retirement Health Savings Plan
- Roth IRA
- Vacation, medical and personal leave
- Blood donation leave program
- 10paid holidays
- Beach parking sticker at resident rate
- Reimbursementof co-pays for annual physical and cancer screenings
- Paid Family Membership to SanibelRecreation Center
- Unlimited Sanibel Causeway transponder
- Cape Coral bridges transponder, if applicable