LEAD WASTEWATER PLANT OPERATOR
We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the required minimum qualifications.
The City of Fort Lauderdale is seeking dynamic and goal-driven employees. Employees that are motivated to take on today's greatest challenges and rewards in the field of local public service. Employees who are passionate about making a difference and achieving our mission: We Build Community, in a fast-paced organization that operates by vision, strategy, and action. Would you fit in? Apply now.
This is technical work in the operation and maintenance of a large, complex wastewater treatment plant, which includes cryogenic oxygen production, advanced chemical treatment, advanced sludge dewatering facilities, and computer process control.
An employee in this class assists the Wastewater Operations Supervisor in the proper and efficient operation of a state-of-the-art wastewater treatment plant. Work is performed in accordance with established procedures and standards. The employee exercises some independent judgment in the adjustment of treatment plant equipment in order to maintain required quality and production standards. Instructions are received orally or in writing from the Wastewater Operations Supervisor, and the employee works with relative independence in carrying out the instructions. This classification is differentiated from the Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator, in the level of technical knowledge, the ability to independently oversee shift operation and maintenance, and the nature of problems that the incumbent is expected to troubleshoot in the absence of the Wastewater Operations Supervisor. Work is subject to inspection by the Wastewater Operations Supervisor from the results obtained.
The City offers a wide variety of benefits to their employees. In addition to the competitive benefits package and salary, the City currently offers 401(a) participation with a 9% City contribution and no employee match! Beginning January 1st 2021, the City will participate in the Florida Retirement System (FRS) which will require a 3% contribution from employees. Anyone hired after Jan 1, 2021 will be automatically enrolled in FRS.
Say "Hello" to the City of Fort Lauderdale and Say "Goodbye" to Your Student Loan!
That's right! Under the U.S. Department of Education's Public Service Loan Forgiveness ( PSLF ) program, the remaining balance on your student loan may be forgiven after you have made 120 qualifying monthly payments while working full-time at the City of Fort Lauderdale! Please visit www.fortlauderdale.gov/PublicServiceLoanForgiveness for more information or to see if you qualify.
This job classification is included within the bargaining unit represented by Teamsters Local Union 769 and therefore is subject to the terms and conditions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the City of Fort Lauderdale and Teamsters Local Union 769.
NOTE: The duties of this position will include all of those duties set forth in the official job description.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Monitors and evaluates the operations of a large, complex wastewater treatment facility and its auxiliary systems; maintains plant log
- Operates onsite oxygen generation plant, troubleshoots problems, and takes corrective action. Performs acetylene testing to ensure safe cryogenic operation
- Operates and troubleshoots sludge dewatering facilities
- Leads and trains subordinate operational and maintenance staff assigned; advises and instructs on methods and techniques for improving efficiency of duties and operations
- Reviews trends, records, and reports to maintain proper procedure and standards; collects and tabulates operational log data for regulatory agencies
- Recognize deviations or irregularities in the plant operation and maintenance; adjusts the treatment plant process and equipment in order to maintain the required quality standards of the federal, state, and county regulatory agencies
- Samples, measures, and tests plant values such as pH, chlorine residuals, temperature, solids concentration, levels, and others; makes corrections and adjustments; collects required samples for on and offsite analysis
- Collaborates with maintenance staff on specific projects; adjusts or bypasses job specific areas, processes, or equipment to ensure consistent wastewater treatment, plant integrity, and safety
- Tests, monitors, records, evaluates, troubleshoots, and adjusts the operation of plant emergency generator and auxiliary equipment
- Assists contractors and consultants with specific tasks
- Assists in preparing standard operating procedures
- Oversees Plant operations to remain in compliance of all Federal, State, County and City regulations and standards when an Operations Supervisor is not onsite
- Ensures compliance with safety regulations and standard operating procedures
- Works around high voltage, rotating equipment and various hazardous chemicals
- May assist Federal, State and local regulators during plant compliance inspections
- Performs related work as required
JOB REQUIREMENTS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
- High School Diploma or G.E.D. equivalency
- Three (3) to five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in Wastewater Plant operations
- State of Florida Class B Certified Operator's License in wastewater.
- Knowledge of SCADA
HOW TO APPLY/ VETERAN INFORMATION
Depending on the number of applicants and the quality of their education and experience, the examination may consist of one or more of the following tests: Evaluation of Training and Experience, Oral Interview, Written Examination, or other assessment method. Applicants must attain a minimum score of 70 in each part of the examination in order to qualify. All successful applicants will be required to pass a medical examination, including drug screening , prior to appointment.
An eligible veteran who enters an open-competitive examination shall receive preference points added to the total passing score earned in the examination as provided for in the Florida Statutes. To obtain veteran's preference, candidates MUST submit a copy of separation papers and the City of Fort Lauderdale's veteran's preference claim form ( form J204 ).
Closing Date/Time: 5/6/2021 5:00 PM Eastern