LEAD WATER TREATMENT PLANT OPERATOR
We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the required minimum qualifications.
The City of Fort Lauderdale community builders possess a passion for public service demonstrated by a high degree of enthusiasm, self-reliance, and job proficiency. They effectively convey the vision and mission of the organization and provide excellent service and satisfaction to our internal and external customers. Would you fit in? Click here to apply.
The City offers a wide variety of benefits to employees. In addition to the competitive benefits package and salary, the City participates in the Florida Retirement System (FRS) which offers an investment option and a pension option, and requires a 3% contribution from employees. New hires are automatically enrolled in FRS.
Performs advanced level work in the operation and maintenance of a water treatment plant and related equipment.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Essential functions are the basic job duties that an employee must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation. The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. The omission of a function does not preclude management from assigning essential duties not listed herein if such duties relate to the position.
- Leads and trains subordinate operational and maintenance staff assigned; advises and instructs on methods and techniques for improving efficiency of duties and operations
- Monitors, controls, and troubleshoots operations of water treatment facilities
- Maintains records of personnel on duty, conditions, changes, access, emergencies, and other issues of note associated with the water treatment facility in log and/or on specific worksheets and computer uploads
- Performs lab tests of processed water at pre-determined intervals of the process, including clear well and finished water
- Makes chemical adjustments in relationship to water conditions and equipment specifications or conditions
- Inspects chemical rooms and process areas for abnormalities
- Maintains chemical inventory; orders, tracks, and receives chemicals; maintains proper documentation
- Tests, monitors, records, evaluates, troubleshoots, and adjusts the operation of plant emergency generator and auxiliary equipment
- Assists contractors and consultants with specific tasks
- Assists in preparing standard operating procedures
- Oversees Plant operations to remain in compliance
- Works around high voltage, rotating equipment, and various hazardous chemicals
- Ensures compliance with safety regulations and standard operating procedures and Federal, State, and County regulations
- Performs related work as required
JOB REQUIREMENTS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
1. Have graduated from a standard high school or possess an acceptable G.E.D. certificate from a recognized issuing agency and Six (6) months or more of additional training.
2. Possess a current State of Florida Class "B" Water Operator's license in compliance with the Florida Administrative Code and all revisions thereof.
3. Have three (3) years actual work experience operating a large, complex water treatment plant of at least 15 MGD. This experience must include all chemical treatment and operational systems associated with a lime softening facility or a membrane softening facility.
HOW TO APPLY/ VETERAN INFORMATION
Depending on the number of applicants and the quality of their education and experience, the examination may consist of one or more of the following tests: Evaluation of Training and Experience, Oral Interview, Written Examination, or other assessment method. Applicants must attain a minimum score of 70 in each part of the examination in order to qualify. Successful applicants may be required to take a medical examination and/or pass a drug screening prior to appointment, depending on position.
An eligible veteran who enters an open-competitive examination shall receive preference points added to the total passing score earned in the examination as provided for in the Florida Statutes. To obtain veteran's preference, candidates MUST submit a copy of separation papers and the City of Fort Lauderdale's veteran's preference claim form ( J204 ) .
The City of Fort Lauderdale is AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO) AND AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER . All applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender (including identity or expression), marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or any other protected classification as defined by applicable law (except as limited by Personnel Rules, Collective Bargaining Agreements, or bona fide occupational qualifications).
In compliance with the Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988, the City of Fort Lauderdale is committed to providing a safe, quality-oriented and productive work environment consistent with the standards of the community in which it serves. Alcohol and drug abuse pose a threat to the health and safety of City's employees and to the security of the City's equipment and facilities. For these reasons, the City is committed to the elimination of drug and alcohol use and abuse in the workplace.
Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) protects qualified individuals with disabilities from employment discrimination. Under the ADA, a person has a disability if he has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits a major life activity.The physical demands described within the job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job . In compliance with the ADA, the City of Fort Lauderdale will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
The City of Fort Lauderdale offers a comprehensive benefits package to all regular full-time employees including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and short-term disability insurance.
Click here for an overview of employment information including our benefits package.
Closing Date/Time: 3/15/2023 5:00 PM Eastern