MECHANICAL ENGINEER I
LSI is an employee-owned company and employs dynamic teams of professionals - people with the finest technical expertise, a level of passionate creativity, and a truly visionary outlook who deliver innovative training solutions that exceed our customer's expectations. Everyone at LSI has a personal stake in our success.
LSI has over 400 training and training support experts, engineers, and craftsmen on staff who develop state-of-the-art high-fidelity training devices, complex computer-based, highly interactive distributed learning products, and comprehensive, dynamic technical publications. LSI employee-owners collaborate to deliver training products and services for a myriad of programs and customers, using leading edge technology and proven processes.
The Mechanical Engineer I is an entry level position that performs and assists in full lifecycle product development. Also assists in the creation of production drawings, checking designs to ensure they meet requirements set by customers and our own internal standards as well as provides technical guidance to manufacturing.
Essential Job Functions:
- Perform and assist in full lifecycle product development (design, develop, test prototypes, manufacture, and implement).
- Design systems and components that meet needs and requirements and ensures all designs meet both internal and external customer requirements and design standards.
- Conduct experiments methodically, analyze data, and interpret results.
- Test and evaluate theoretical designs.
- Evaluate final product's overall performance, reliability, and safety.
- Alter and modify design to meet requirements and eliminate malfunctions.
- Prepare product reports and documentation.
- Troubleshoot mechanical discrepancies on trainers and/or aircraft as required.
- Assist in creating production drawings for machined parts, sheet metal fabrication, and mechanical sub-assemblies.
- Assist in the development of process improvement programs to reduce development time, improve product quality and manufacturability, and reduce product cost.
- Recommend design approaches to meet production requirements for new or improved products or processes.
- Must be capable of safely handling government furnished equipment and materials.
- Must be available to work a standard weekly schedule with overtime as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Must have a working knowledge of AutoCAD and/or Solid Works.
- Develop knowledge of ASME Yl4.100-2000 & Y l4.5-1994 drawings.
- Develop knowledge of Product Data Management (PDM), Product Lifecycle Management (PLM).
- Must have working knowledge of Finite Element Analysis (FEA).
- Understanding of core concepts including mechanics, kinematics, thermodynamics, materials science, etc.
- Develop knowledge of various fabrication and assembly including metal machining, sheet metal fabrication, and welding.
- Develop knowledge of industry and military specifications for materials, parts, and processes preferred.
- Develop creativity, innovation, commitment to excellence with the ability to work in a diverse and fast paced environment.
- Must work well in a team environment.
- Must be able to travel.
- Must follow direction from mentor or lead.
- Must follow company standards and applicable industry standards.
- Must be able to obtain security clearance if required by the contract.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or Bachelor of Science in Engineering,
- Engineering Technology, or Aerospace Engineering with applicable specialty (i.e. mechanical or design.)
- Prior military with aviation maintenance experience a plus.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint required. Knowledge of Microsoft Project preferred.
We are equal opportunity/affirmative action employers, committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under state or local law.