MECHANICAL PLANS EXAMINER – DSD S217
The Development Services Department's Building Services Division is seeking a Mechanical Plans Examiner.
Come Join Our Team!
The Mechanical Plans Examiner inspects mechanical blueprints and permit applications to determine whether plans, specifications, and materials conform to legally established requirements including the Florida Building Code and all local laws and ordinances. They review plans and deal with the public but are also responsible for field assignments as necessary.
This position shall remain open until a sufficient number of qualified applications have been received.
This job classification is included within the bargaining unit represented by Teamsters Local Union 769 and therefore is subject to the terms and conditions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the City of Fort Lauderdale and Teamsters Local Union 769.
The City offers a wide variety of benefits to employees. In addition to the competitive benefits package and salary, the City participates in the Florida Retirement System (FRS) which offers an investment option and a pension option and requires a 3% contribution from employees. New hires are automatically enrolled in FRS.
Say "Hello" to the City of Fort Lauderdale and Say "Goodbye" to Your Student Loan!
That's right! Under the U.S. Department of Education's Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) program, the remaining balance on your student loan may be forgiven after you have made 120 qualifying monthly payments while working full-time at the City of Fort Lauderdale! Please visit www.fortlauderdale.gov/PublicServiceLoanForgiveness for more information or to see if you qualify.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Essential functions are the basic job duties that an employee must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation. The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. The omission of a function does not preclude management from assigning essential duties not listed herein if such duties relate to the position.
- Performs detailed review of mechanical diagrams, blueprints, plans and specifications for compliance with the FBC and local regulations prior to issuance of building permits for proposed mechanical, air conditioning, ventilation and refrigeration installations or modifications
- Confers with engineers, contractors, builders, or owners and approves or disapproves; suggests modifications, recommends corrections to plans as necessary, returns plans for corrections and resubmission
- Computes and inputs data in order to calculate building permit and impact fees
- Assists in establishing policies, practices and procedures for the plan review section and ensures they are implemented with the approval of an immediate supervisor
- Occasionally assists with inspections of mechanical installations in process for compliance with plans submitted, permit applications and building code requirements
- Assists in the investigation of complaints regarding violation of applicable codes and ordinances when necessary
- Electronically prepares reports and maintains inspection records of work performed and properly enters inspection data, including documents and images using provided hardware and software systems and equipment
- Assumes the role of the Chief Mechanical Inspector in their absence
JOB REQUIREMENTS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Have graduated from a standard high school or vocational school or possess a G.E.D. certificate from a recognized issuing agency. Or qualifying work experience may be substituted for the High School or equivalent education requirement on a year-for-year basis
- Possess or be able to obtain a Florida driver's license within 30 days of hire
- Must be certified as required by the State of Florida Building Code Administrators and Inspectors Board (BCAIB) as a Mechanical Plans Examiner AND as a Mechanical Inspector. (Required certifications and license must be kept current to continue employment in this class)
- Engineers are exempt from BCAIB certification
- Must be certified by BORA and shall meet one of the following qualifications:
- An Engineer in the discipline requested and having practiced for a minimum of five (5) years within the State of Florida OR
- A Mechanical Inspector serving for a minimum of one (1) year for an Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) or school board within the State of Florida
Must possess a current Certificate of Competency or a Professional License as a Master Mechanical or Mechanical Contractor or Class "A" Air Conditioning Contractor or Engineer issued by at least one of the following entities:
- Florida Construction Industry Licensing Board
- Broward County Central Examining Board of Mechanical Contractors and Specialty Mechanical Contractors
- Miami-Dade County Construction Trades Qualifying Board
- Florida Board of Professional Engineers
NOTE: Required certifications must be kept current to continue employment in this class.
HOW TO APPLY/ VETERAN INFORMATION
Depending on the number of applications and the quality of their education and experience, the examination may consist of one or more of the following tests: Evaluation of Training and Experience, Oral Interview, Written Examination, or other assessment method. Applicants must attain a minimum score of 70 in each part of the examination to qualify. All successful applicants will be required to pass a medical examination, including drug screening, prior to appointment.
An eligible veteran who enters an open-competitive examination shall receive preference points added to the total passing score earned in the examination as provided for in the Florida Statutes. To obtain veteran's preference, candidates MUST submit a copy of separation papers and the City of Fort Lauderdale's veteran's preference claim form ( J-204) .
The City of Fort Lauderdale offers a comprehensive benefits package to all regular full-time employees including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and short-term disability insurance.
Click here for an overview of employment information including our benefits package.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous