Police Record Specialist Teletype
This is clerical and technical work involving police information files and computerized information systems. Employees in this class are responsible for operating computer terminals and performing diversified duties pertaining to data processing formats on local, state, and national criminal justice information systems. Duties include the rapid and accurate inquiry, entry, modification, and retrieval of a wide variety of policerecords information concerning wanted subjects and stolen articles. Related work includes receiving and providing information telephonically, providing counter services to the public, processing correspondence and researching records.
Supervision Received and Exercised
This position is classified as a non-exempt, full-time position with a 37.5 hour work-week.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Operates a computer terminal to make inquiries, recoveries, modifications, cancelations, and entries on wanted, missing/runaway subjects, articles, guns, securities, stolen, towed, and abandoned vehicle (STA) file, into local, state, and Florida Crime Information Center (FCIC), and National Crime Information Center (NCIC), for the City of Doral Police Department.
- Sends and receives messages from local, state, and FCIC/NCIC terminals; verifies messages and bench warrants in the FCIC/NCIC to other police agencies.
- Receives telephone calls from Police Officers; verifies information and enters data concerning stolen and recovered passenger vehicles, trucks, trailers, and other vehicles into computer terminals.
- Receives inquiries from the public and provides general information or referrals.
- Provides counter services to the public, processes correspondence, researches general records, and files.
- Monitors and receives messages, inquiries, and other on-line traffic from various law enforcement agencies; determines if other than routine action should be taken.
- Reviews and updates work manuals for deletion and addition of information pertaining to police information.
- Reviews and updates national, state, and local warrants, information on missing persons, vehicles, unidentified deceases persons and body parts, stolen articles, vessels, and criminal histories.
- Assists jail booking personnel, via telephone, in the handling and processing of current arrests.
- Receives and records written and voice messages by telephone and radio via Computer Aided Dispatching system.
- Transmits messages and departmental information by radio to personnel in the field.
- Receives and evaluates requests for police services.
- Relays information to police dispatcher regarding citizen's requests for service and assistance needed by field units.
- Disseminates messages over the computer-based information network as requested.
- Reviews all teletypes received through FCIC/NCIC computer system at the end of the shift and forwards pertinent information to the appropriate section i.e., sexual predator information, officer safety issues, training announcements, etc.
- Relays requests and information from field units to the complaint section or appropriate agency for processing.
- Utilizes computer information systems to provide clearance checks on subjects, vehicles, and other property to field units.
- Receives and transmits accurately any orders, instructions or information from field supervisors to designated units.
- Performs related work as required.
- Performs other related work as required.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- A high school degree and one year of general secretarial experience is required.
- Must possess a valid Florida Driver's License.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND STANDARDS REQUIRED
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to use small office equipment, including copy machines or multi-line telephone systems.
- Ability to use computers for data entry.
- Ability to use computers for word processing and/or accounting purposes.
- Ability to use highly technical computer applications such as GIS or CAD.
- Must be fluent in spoken and written English. Ability to communicate in Spanish is a plus.
- Must be computer literate with knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point and other similarprograms.
- Must be a non-smoker
- The minimum requirements may be waived by the City Manager
Physical Requirements :
- Ability to perceive sound, make repetitive motions with the hand, express ideas through speaking/talking, and use visual acuity to perform activities such as viewing a computer terminal.
- Ability to exert up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body.
Closing Date/Time: 2/25/2020 5:00 PM Eastern