Project Manager II (Public Works Utility Modeling and Engineering – DSD)
The City of Fort Lauderdale seeks a Project Manager II
Join Our Team!
Now here is a GREAT PLACE TO WORK!!! This is the Public Works Division located at the Development Services Department (DSD) building in the City of Fort Lauderdale!!! They are like family and enjoy giving back to the community! They would like to welcome a new Project Manager II to join their TEAM since one was just promoted!!! Maybe it's you?! Apply now!
This specific position deals with regulations, water and sewer pipe flow and capacity modeling, design review, and project/construction management. It is an advanced professional and administrative position with work of more than average difficulty, involving managing, designing, reviewing, and inspecting various types of development and municipal public works utilities projects within the City.
Employees in this role review, authorize, and monitor the engineering design and construction of complex private development and municipal engineering and utilities projects, with a specific focus on water, wastewater, and stormwater improvements and city-wide master planning/modeling. Part of the duties are monitoring and directing the work of engineering, architectural, and utilities consultants and contractors engaged in the design, permitting, and construction of City utilities and various other infrastructure projects.
Work requires advanced project management and technical skills and the ability to effectively communicate, verbally and in writing, with the public, design consulting firms, and contractors. Responsibilities include the management of numerous projects, simultaneously, through all project phases including planning, consultant/contractor selection, design, construction, inspection, and warranty administration.
Knowledge of and experience with South Florida engineering standards and permitting agencies, hydraulic modeling software, and engineering design and construction methods are essential requirements. Familiarity with Innovyze Software Suite is highly desirable.
This employment class is distinguished from the Project Manager I position by the larger scope and complexity of assigned projects, the additional experience and licensing requirements, and the level of independent decision-making required.
Employees in this class perform a broad range of work assignments requiring the exercise of considerable initiative and independent judgment in assuring that activities meet high standards of service, are performed with the maximum effective use of resources, and that work is accomplished in accordance with accepted technical standards and in compliance with applicable rules, regulations, and laws.
The employee in this class may supervise subordinate professional and paraprofessional staff and inspectors. Work is reviewed by a Senior Project Manager/Program Manager via conferences with the employee, through study of reports and work products generated/submitted, by direct observation, and by the degree of achievement of established goals, objectives, timeliness of project/assignment completion, and work plans.
NOTE: The duties of this position will include all duties set forth in the official job description.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Review permit applications, engineering plans, detailed specifications, and shop drawings for water, wastewater, and storm drainage related work to ascertain that the design meets city and all applicable governing standards; calculate permit fees and bonding fees; and prepare and maintain records and logs of the permit desk.
- Perform water and sewer system modeling for various projects to verify viability of proposed designs and to determine what infrastructure upgrades may be required to support a proposed design.
- Monitor existing utility infrastructure capacity and aid in the programming of capital improvement projects to ensure existing City utility infrastructure has sufficient capacity to support continued population growth.
- Coordinate with other City departments, external agencies, and applicants on projects.
- Provide capacity analysis for water and wastewater systems using modeling software.
- Provide technical information and guidance, identify and address design issues pertaining to land development, water and wastewater utility construction, surface water management, roadway improvements, and other public/private improvements.
- Prepare required designs, specifications, estimates, and technical reports for special projects; prepare reports, memorandums, and related correspondence pertaining to contract and regulatory compliance.
- Provide input for developing/modifying City code provisions, engineering standard details, and standard specifications. Propose solutions for problems of design, construction, or maintenance of municipal public facilities; prepare reports and make recommendations relating to infrastructure project design and construction activities.
- Provide direction to consultants, contractors, City departments and staff, and other appropriate stakeholders to ensure effective communication is maintained with all parties from design of a project through construction and completion.
- Work with inspectors to ensure construction work is performed on schedule and in accordance with permit requirements and in compliance with established design, specifications, and contract agreements.
- Prepare reports for upper management and stakeholder information.
- Respond to inquiries from the public concerning drainage, utilities, and other engineering-related matters.
- Perform other related work as required.
JOB REQUIREMENTS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
1) Have graduated from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Management or other closely related/appropriate technical field.
2) Have at least three (3) years of progressively responsible post-graduate experience in one or more of the following areas: planning, design, and construction of public works projects; planning, design, and construction of utility projects; planning, design, and construction of private development projects; or other closely related project or construction experience.
1) At least one (1) - three (3) years of experience in Public Works engineering design and construction management in the areas of water, wastewater, and stormwater infrastructure.
2) Experience with Water and Sanitary Sewer modeling. Specifically, the Innovyze Software Suite.
3) Possession of a current license as a registered Professional Engineer (PE) in Florida (or EIT).
4) Possession of a current license as a General Contractor or certification as a Project Management Professional (PMP) or Certified Construction Manager (CCM)
HOW TO APPLY/ VETERAN INFORMATION
Depending on the number of applications and the quality of their education and experience, the examination may consist of one or more of the following tests: Evaluation of Training & Experience, Oral Interview, Written Examination, or other assessment method. Applicants must attain a minimum score of 70 in each part of the examination in order to qualify. All successful applicants will be required to pass a medical examination, including drug screening , prior to appointment. Open until sufficient applicants have applied.
An eligible veteran who enters an open-competitive examination shall receive preference points added to the total passing score earned in the examination as provided for in the Florida Statutes. To obtain veteran's preference, candidates MUST submit a copy of separation papers and the City of Fort Lauderdale's veteran's preference claim form ( J204 ).
Established Date: 11/18/2018 Revised Date: November 30, 2018
Management Category: 3 Classification Level: Principal
FLSA: Non-Exempt Classification Status: Classified
Class Code: FP029 EEO Code: 2 - Professional
Pay Grade: FP11
The City of Fort Lauderdale offers a comprehensive benefits package to all regular full-time employees including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and short-term disability insurance.
Click here for an overview of employment informationincluding our benefits package and click here for additional Federation of Public Employees managementbenefits.
Closing Date/Time: 11/28/2023 11:59 PM Eastern