RECREATION SPECIALIST I
An employee in this class is responsible for the organization and personal leadership of a variety of recreation activities in an indoor and/or outdoor recreation setting or facility. Due to the varying nature of this position, example duties listed below are dependent on facility assignment and program needs. Specialized training may be required.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Essential functions are the basic job duties that an employee must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation. The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. The omission of a function does not preclude management from assigning essential duties not listed herein if such duties relate to the position.
- Helps in maintaining order and enforcing rules and regulations at recreational facilities
- Assists in maintaining safety and health standards at facilities and during programs
- Selects materials and adopts suitable teaching materials for individual needs
- Sets up and breakdowns of facilities, programs and events
- May be required to complete departmental forms
- May be required to instruct programs such as, art, dance, sports, fitness, etc.
- May serve as a sports official, score keeper, or coach during youth or teen sports
- May serve as a food monitor during summer camp or after school programs (must provide own vehicle)
- May assists camp director during camp programs
- May serve as a swim instructor
- May serve as team lead when necessary
- May work weekends, nights and holidays
- Performs related work as required.
JOB REQUIREMENTS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
High school Diploma or G.E.D. or be a graduating senior.May be 17 years old if a graduating senior in high school. Otherwise, must be 18 years old or older. If working as a youth or teen sports official , must possess six (6) months experience in sports instruction or officiating. If working as a swim instructor , must possess valid American Red Cross CPR for Professional Rescuer and First Aid certificate and AED certificationCandidates must pass a fingerprinting/background screening process prior to employmentExperience working in Licensed After School program is preferred PLAY (After School) Additional Requirements:
1. 40 hours Child Care Training (transcripts required)
2. Local/FDLE Background Screening
3. Pediatric CPR/First Aid or obtain within 90 days of employment
4. 24-hour Child Care in-service training annually
NOTE: Licensed after school personnel will be required to complete the above additional documentation and forms to ensure County and State compliance. Licensing is required within 90 days of an employee's start date and will be paid for by the City.
PHYSICAL STANDARDS REQUIRED TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The noise level in the work environment is quiet to moderately loud. The work entails sedentary work in an office setting. While performing duties, employee is frequently required to stand, walk, stoop, talk, hear, reach above and below shoulders, and use hand and fingers dexterity keyboarding. The employee may be required occasionally to lift up to 50 pounds. Ability to perform physical activities for extended period of time. May require working in adverse weather conditions such as rain, heat and humidity.
Sometimes work is stressful when working under stringent time constraints. Vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word, and conveying detailed or important instructions to others accurately, loudly, or quickly. Hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels, and to receive detailed information through oral communications and/or to make fine distinctions in sound; visual acuity is required for depth perception, color perception.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
HOW TO APPLY/ VETERAN INFORMATION
Applications will be reviewed and the hiring authority will contact those applicants whose application reflects the best match of experience for the position.
All required certifications, whether possessed at time of application or obtained after appointment, must be kept current to continue employment in this class.
This is a part time temporary non-benefited position.
Closing Date/Time: 1/15/2024 12:00 AM Eastern