RECREATION WORKER (After School Program)
Monday - Friday: 1:30 P.M. - 6:00 P.M. (Regular School Days)
Hours may vary on Early Release Days & Non-School Days
This is entry-level recreation work of routine difficulty assisting in recreation programs and in the operation and maintenance of recreation facilities.
An employee in this class works under immediate supervision and performs varied tasks which may be learned through a short period of on-the-job training according to detailed written or oral instructions. The employee in this class exercises only limited initiative assisting a program leader and is not required to exercise independent judgment. Work assignments are normally of short duration and are usually reviewed when completed for adherence to instructions and established procedures by an assigned supervisor.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Essential functions are the basic job duties that an employee must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation. The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. The omission of a function does not preclude management from assigning essential duties not listed herein if such duties relate to the position.
- Assists in organizing and conducting games, sports, camps and other recreational activities
- Helps in maintaining order, and enforcing rules and regulations at recreational facilities
- Assists in maintaining safety and health standards at facilities and during programs
- May be required to perform janitorial work and related clean-up duties
- May be required to welcomes visitors and answer incoming telephone calls
- May be required to enroll recreation program participants, issue tickets, receive and account for revenues
- May be required to keep attendance records or scores at sporting events, operate audiovisual equipment, or monitor activities of children during recreational trips or tours;
- May work weekends, nights and holidays
- Performs related work as required.
JOB REQUIREMENTS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
- High school Diploma or G.E.D. or be a graduating senior
- May be 17 years old if a graduating senior in high school otherwise must be 18 years old or older
- Must possess six (6) months experience in a recreational facility or have been a participant in a variety of recreational activities such as sports, organized games or arts and crafts
- Candidates must pass a fingerprinting/background screening process prior to employment
PLAY (Afterschool) Additional Requirements:
- 40 hours Child Care Training (transcripts required)
- Current Director's Credential
- Local/FDLE Background Screening
- Pediatric CPR First Aid
- 24-hour Child Care in-service training annually
NOTE: Licensed after school personnel will be required to complete the above additional documentation and forms to ensure County and State compliance. Licensing is required within 90 days of an employee's start date and will be paid for by the City.
HOW TO APPLY/ VETERAN INFORMATION
Applications will be reviewed and the hiring authority will contact those applicants whose application reflects the best match of experience for the position.
All required certifications, whether possessed at time of application or obtained after appointment, must be kept current to continue employment in this class.
Thank you for your interest in employment with the City of Fort Lauderdale.
Due to the large number of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to everyone. This means that if you submit an employment application you may or may not be called in for an interview.
If your application is complete and you meet the requirements of the job, your application will be sent to the Hiring Supervisor. The Hiring Supervisor will interview those applicants whose experience best fits the needs of the job. All applicants will not be contacted for an interview.
We will keep your application on file for six (6) months for current and future openings for this class title. There is no need to submit another applicaton until the (6) month period is up.
Thank you and good luck!
Closing Date/Time: 1/15/2024 12:00 AM Eastern