RECREATION WORKER (Summer Applicants Only)
The City of Fort Lauderdale employees possess a passion for public service demonstrated by a high degree of enthusiasm, self-reliance, and job proficiency. They effectively convey the vision and mission of the organization and provide excellent service and satisfaction to our internal and external customers.
This is entry-level recreation work of routine difficulty assisting in recreation programs and in the operation and maintenance of recreation facilities.
An employee in this class works under immediate supervision and performs varied tasks which may be learned through a short period of on-the-job training according to detailed written or oral instructions. The employee in this class exercises only limited initiative assisting a program leader and is not required to exercise independent judgment. Work assignments are normally of short duration and are usually reviewed when completed for adherence to instructions and established procedures by an assigned supervisor.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Essential functions are the basic job duties that an employee must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation. The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. The omission of a function does not preclude management from assigning essential duties not listed herein if such duties relate to the position.
- Assists in organizing and conducting games, sports, camps and other recreational activities
- Helps in maintaining order, and enforcing rules and regulations at recreational facilities
- Assists in maintaining safety and health standards at facilities and during programs
- May be required to perform janitorial work and related clean-up duties
- May be required to welcomes visitors and answer incoming telephone calls
- May be required to enroll recreation program participants, issue tickets, receive and account for revenues
- May be required to keep attendance records or scores at sporting events, operate audiovisual equipment, or monitor activities of children during recreational trips or tours;
- May work weekends, nights and holidays
- Performs related work as required.
JOB REQUIREMENTS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
- High school Diploma or G.E.D. or be a graduating senior
- May be 17 years old if a graduating senior in high school otherwise must be 18 years old or older
- Must possess six (6) months experience in a recreational facility or have been a participant in a variety of recreational activities such as sports, organized games or arts and crafts
- Candidates must pass a fingerprinting/background screening process prior to employment
PLAY (After School)/Bus Monitoring Additional Requirements -
- Experience working in Licensed After School program is preferred
- Licensing is required within 90 days of an employee's start date and will be paid for by the City
- Licensed after school personnel will be required to complete additional documentation and forms to ensure County and State compliance
- 40 hours Child Care Training (transcripts required)
- Local/FDLE Background Screening
- Pediatric CPR/First Aid -or obtain within 90 days of employment
- 24-hour Child Care in-service training annually
PHYSICAL STANDARDS REQUIRED TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Depends upon work assignment and location.
The noise level in the work environment is quiet to moderately loud. The work may entail sedentary work in an office setting. While performing duties, employee may frequently be required to stand, walk, stoop, talk, hear, reach above and below shoulders, and use hand and fingers dexterity keyboarding. The employee may be required on rare occasions to lift up to 50 pounds.
Sometimes work is stressful when working under stringent time constraints. Vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word, and conveying detailed or important instructions to others accurately, loudly, or quickly. Hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels, and to receive detailed information through oral communications and/or to make fine distinctions in sound; visual acuity is required for depth perception, color perception.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Closing Date/Time: 8/6/2021 11:59 PM Eastern