Shift Commander Assistant Fire Chief
The Town of Longboat Key is accepting applications for a Full-Time Shift Commander Assistant Fire Chief in our Fire Department. An employment physical will be required, except for current employees who have met this requirement. Additionally, where appropriate, the Town may waive post-secondary education requirements for certain service members and veterans.
Position Title: Shift Commander Assistant Fire Chief
Posted: March 8, 2023
Salary Type: Exempt
Closing Date: Until Filled
Salary: $92,927 - $100,000
Pay Grade: 223
Probation Period: One Year
Expectations for All Employees
Supports the organization's mission, vision and values by exhibiting the following behaviors:
- Be Service Minded
- Value Teamwork
- Be Professional
- Have the Utmost Integrity
- Demonstrates Mutual Respect
- Bring a Positive Attitude to Work
- Embrace Continuous Improvement
The Town's values support the theme of "Premier Community, Exceptional Service."
Under the direction of the Fire Chief, this is administrative and technical work involving the exercise of independent judgment and the direction of employees and activities of the Fire Department and Emergency Medical Services. Work involves planning and organization, as well as supervision, in the operation of an organization concerned with preventing and minimizing personal injury and loss of life and property. Knowledge in Fire and EMS operations including considerable Fire and EMS Training and experience.
- Serves as an assistant to the Fire Chief in planning of overall operations.
- Supervises the maintenance of department records and reports.
- Responds to selected alarms and, in the absence of the Fire Chief, directs activities at the scene of emergencies.
- Directs Fire Department as authorized by Fire Chief or Deputy Fire Chief.
- Each Assistant Fire Chief shall be responsible for a major organizational function within the department, assigned by the Fire Chief.
- Directs overall Operations under the supervision of the Fire Chief, in the absence of the Fire Chief.
- Each Assistant Fire Chief will be jointly responsible for various administrative and managerial duties during his assigned shift, such as:
- hiring/firing/discipline, with approval of Fire Chief
- budget preparation and expenditure
- scheduling of on-duty personnel
- review/evaluation of personnel
- departmental reports
- administration of agreements resulting from collective bargaining negotiations
- conducting internal affairs investigations in compliance with the Firefighters Bill of Rights, as required
- May be assigned supervisory responsibilities of the other Assistant Chief at the discretion of the Fire Chief.
- Report to work as required by the Disaster Plan Recovery Guide and regular attendance during normal work schedule other than excused or job-related absences.
- Any other functions deemed essential by the Town and communicated to the employee by his/her supervisor or department head.
- Performs those labor and employment functions and responsibilities reflected in Attachment I, including representation of the Fire Chief, as assigned, in collective bargaining.
Every incidental duty connected with this position cannot be specified in the job description and an employee, at the discretion of the Town, may be required to perform duties that are not included in this job description.
Job Performance Knowledge and Abilities
Considerable knowledge of the principles, practices, and procedures used in providing pre-hospital emergency care and the protection of life and property from fire. Considerable knowledge of current developments in fire fighting and fire prevention techniques.
Knowledge of effective methods of planning, assigning, training, and directing personnel and equipment. Ability to plan and carry out department programs and activities. Ability to prepare and deliver presentations to public groups and civic organizations. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other Town officials, other Chiefs, subordinates, and the general public.
Knowledge of principles of Fire Department administration, training, code enforcement, and emergency medical practices. Ability to effectively supervise employees.
Work is performed in a variety of locations, inside and outside, as required. Travel to and from work locations is by Town vehicle or Town emergency vehicles.
Five (5) consecutive years as a Lieutenant for Longboat Key Fire Rescue (LBKFR) or the equivalent as a Lieutenant or higher job classification with another fire service.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a major in public administration, fire science or related field as approved by the Florida State Marshal's office.
Florida Firefighters' Standards Council certification. State Certified Municipal Fire Inspector, Florida Fire Officers' certification. Florida certification as a Paramedic. Considerable experience of a responsible nature in fire protection and emergency medicine, including some supervisory responsibility. Coursework in fire administration, management, and supervision. Valid Florida Drivers License, Class E endorsement. (MVR background check).
Successful completion of an employment physical and drug screen to confirm the ability to perform the essential functions of the job (waived for promoted or transferred Town employees who have previously met this requirement); signed Acknowledgement for the attached "Drug Free Workplace Policy" must be provided prior to assuming Town duties.
Hepatitis B vaccination, proof of same, or signed Acknowledgement declining vaccination (see attached Information to Employees - Hepatitis B ) must be provided to assuming Town duties.
The Town is a Drug Free Workplace, in compliance with the Drug Free Workplace Act of 1988, in § 440.102, FS and Rules 59A-24 F.A.C (Florida Administrative Code). State and federal laws and regulations may subject certain employees to additional drug testing requirements. Any employee who violates the program is subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination.
The Town of Longboat Key is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer, who provides hiring preference to eligible veterans and their family members, and has a strong drug free workplace and alcohol abuse policy. Additionally, where appropriate, the Town may waive post-secondary education requirements for certain service members and veterans.
Return to full list >>
"The Town of Longboat Key is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer, who provides hiring preference to eligible veterans and their family members, and has a strong drug free workplace and alcohol abuse policy."
Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.
Acrobat Reader Windows Media Player Word Viewer Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer
Closing Date/Time: Until Filled