The City of Fort Lauderdale employees possess a passion for public service demonstrated by a high degree of enthusiasm, self-reliance, and job proficiency. They effectively convey the vision and mission of the organization and provide excellent service and satisfaction to our internal and external customers.
Performs semi-skilled work in the repair and maintenance of water mains and sewers, stormwater system infrastructure, roadway maintenance, and/or other work in connection with water and wastewater systems. Installs and maintains swales in the Rights of Way, cleans city owned stormwater infrastructure, and preforms stormwater infrastructure inspections. Employee also performs work involving heavy manual labor, such as; hand-trenching for pipe installation. Work assignments are received daily; orally or in writing. However, since many of the assignments are repetitive, the employee is expected to carry out assignments with a minimum of detailed instructions. Work is performed under the supervision of a higher-ranking employee who is available for consultations on the more unusual work problems.
The City offers a wide variety of benefits to employees. In addition to the competitive benefits package and salary, the City participates in the Florida Retirement System (FRS) which offers an investment option and a pension option, and requires a 3% contribution from employees. New hires are automatically enrolled in FRS.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Essential functions are the basic job duties that an employee must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation. The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. The omission of a function does not preclude management from assigning essential duties not listed herein if such duties relate to the position.
- Participates in the installation, maintenance, and repairs of water distribution, wastewater and stormwater systems
- Responds to customer complaints; locates service lines, detects leaks, excavates, and repairs service lines
- Installs and maintains drainage swales, manholes, catch basins, pipes, taps and other components
- Inspects water mains, meters, valves, fire hydrants, and sewer lines for condition assessments, leak detection, and make needed repairs
- Acts as banksman during excavation ensuring proper laying of pipe and making connections
- Maintains and submits reports of maintenance performed
- Operates a variety of machinery in performing assigned duties, which may include a jet vacuum, bulldozer, backhoe, bobcat, forklift, roller, excavator, front end loader, grader, asphalt spreader box, pothole truck, and boom truck
- Operates a variety of equipment in performing assigned duties, which may include a pipe saw, tamper, electric crane, valve machine, torch, rod machine, and jack hammer
- Depending on area of assignment, performs the following: operates a CCTV survey truck, including setting up and operating equipment to perform internal condition assessment of Stormwater and/or repair of sanitary sewers; operates an inductor truck which removes grit, sand and debris from manholes; operates tapping machines to make water taps on mains under pressure; replaces meter boxes, raises or lowers meter boxes, and repairs meter boxes; sets and resets meters, tests and calibrates meters, and repairs leaks in meters
- May participate in road-way maintenance of shoulders, alleyways, and repairing pot holes on city roads
- May repair breaks and holes in street surfaces using asphalt and concrete
- Will be required to perform "stand-by duty", being available and responding to off-duty emergency call-ins to effect repairs May be required to work nights and weekends
- Ensures compliance with safety regulations and standard operating procedures
- Performs related work as required
JOB REQUIREMENTS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
High School Diploma or G.E.D.One (1) to three (3) years of related experience. .Commercial Driver's License - Class B with Air Brake and an acceptable driving record at the time of appointment.Depending on the position, a State of Florida Class "A" CDL may be required.When operating a wastewater or stormwater tanker/vactor truck a tanker endorsement is preferred.
HOW TO APPLY/ VETERAN INFORMATION
Depending on the number of applicants and the quality of their education and experience, the examination may consist of one or more of the following tests: Evaluation of Training and Experience, Oral Interview, Written Examination, or other assessment method. Applicants must attain a minimum score of 70 in each part of the examination in order to qualify. All successful applicants will be required to pass a medical examination, including drug screening, prior to appointment. Open until sufficient applicants have applied.
An eligible veteran who enters an open-competitive examination shall receive preference points added to the total passing score earned in the examination as provided for in the Florida Statutes. To obtain veteran's preference, candidates MUST submit a copy of separation papers and the City of Fort Lauderdale's veteran's preference claim form ( J204 ) at time of application.
The City of Fort Lauderdale offers a comprehensive benefits package to all regular full-time employees including vacation, holiday, and sick leave as well as medical, dental, vision, life and short-term disability insurance.
Click here for an overview of employment information including our benefits package.
Closing Date/Time: 5/17/2023 5:00 PM Eastern